Marriage Licenses

Where do I apply for a marriage license?Maine residents must apply in the town where they reside. The license is valid in any community in Maine for a period of 90 days from the date the Intentions are filed. Couples who maintain separate Maine residences, must apply in the community in which at least one of them resides.

If one of the parties is a Maine resident, and the other resides out of state, both parties apply in the town of residence of the Maine resident. The license is valid in any community in Maine for a period of 90 days from the date the Intentions are filed.

Out of state residents may apply in any municipal office. However, this office issues marriage licenses to couples being married in Kennebunkport only. The license is valid for a period of 90 days from the date the Intentions are filed and is valid anywhere within the state of Maine.

How do I apply for a marriage license?Please call the Town Clerk's office at 207-967-1610. You will be asked several questions and arrangements will be made for you to receive the necessary forms to complete the steps below.

Marriage licenses are issued by appointment only-- no exceptions -- and are issued a minimum of 48 business hours after completed Intention of Marriage forms have been received by the Clerk's office.

STEP 1 - INTENTIONS OF MARRIAGE - The parties must complete an Intention of Marriage form either in the presence of the Town Clerk or by mail. The Intentions include a signed certification that the information provided is correct and that the applicant is free to marry according to the laws of this State.  If done by mail, notarized signatures are required. The Intention of Marriage application is a legal document. You are responsible and liable for providing the information and documentation required. The paperwork must be completed and notarized (if applicable) in BLACK INK ONLY. Forms completed in any other color will not be accepted for filing.

STEP 2 - FILING FEE - The filing fee is $40.00. Make checks payable to the Town of Kennebunkport.

STEP 3 - PREVIOUS MARRIAGE(S) - If either party has been previously married, a certified copy of the death certificate or divorce decree of the last marriage must be submitted to the Town Clerk at the time of filing of the Marriage Intentions. Certified means that the documents are affixed with a raised or gold seal and/or contain original signatures. A record of divorce, if not in English, must be translated into English by a disinterested 3rd person at the parties' expense.

STEP 4 - The completed Intention of Marriage, filing fee and divorce/death decree(s), if applicable, must be forwarded to the Town Clerk where the parties are required to file their intentions. Couples filing in Kennebunkport, please forward the paperwork to:

Town of Kennebunkport
Attn: Marriage License
P.O. Box 566
Kennebunkport, ME  04046

STEP 5 - Both parties must appear in person at the Town Clerk's office prior to the wedding ceremony to sign the marriage license. Proof of identity is required (driver's license or passport and a current address). Couples who file in Kennebunkport must call 207-967-1610 to make an appointment to appear to sign the license during normal business hours. The office is closed weekends and holidays, no exceptions. PLEASE BE SURE TO CALL AHEAD FOR AN APPOINTMENT TO ENSURE THAT THE CLERK WILL BE AVAILABLE.