General Public Works Questions
What are the hours of operation, and who do I contact after hours?
The Public Works Department hours are Monday to Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. After 3:30 p.m., please contact the Communications Department at (207) 967-2700.
What are posted roads?
Every year in the spring, the Town puts a weight limit on the roads so that heavy vehicles will not damage the roads while the frost is working its way out of the ground. Roads are generally posted from March through May 1st. For more information about posted roads, please click here or contact the Public Works Department at (207) 967-5728.
What do the different colors of spray paint on the streets and sidewalks mean?
The different colored spray paint indicates the location of underground utilities according to Dig Safe.

Below is the color coding system:

  • RED: Electric Power Lines, Cables, Conduit and Lighting Cables
  • YELLOW: Gas, Oil, Steam, Petroleum or Gaseous Materials
  • ORANGE: Communication, Alarm or Signal Lines, Cables or Conduits
  • BLUE: Potable, Water
  • GREEN: Sewers and Drain Lines
  • PURPLE: Reclaimed Water, Irrigation and Slurry Lines
  • PINK: Temporary Survey Markings
  • WHITE: Proposed Excavation
When does the winter parking ban begin?
Parking is prohibited on any public way between 12:00 midnight and 6:00 a.m. from December 1st to April 15th the next following year
Does the town provide sand or salt to residents?
The Town provides a sand-salt mix to residents in increments of 5 gallon pails.
What is Dig Safe, and how can I contact them?

State laws require anyone who digs to notify utility companies before starting, and for good reason. Digging can be dangerous and costly without knowing where underground facilities are located. 

Dig Safe is a communication network, assisting excavators, contractors and property owners in complying with state law by notifying the appropriate utilities before digging. Dig Safe, a free service, notifies member companies of proposed excavation projects. In turn, these member utilities respond to the work area and identify the location of underground facilities. Callers are given a permit number as confirmation.

Dig Safe can be contacted by calling (888) DIG-SAFE or by visiting their website.

How do I report a pothole?
Potholes can be reported to the Public Works Department at (207) 967-5728.
Who do I contact to report a damaged/missing street sign?
Damaged or missing street signs can be reported to the Public Works Department at (207) 967-5728.
When is a street opening permit required, and what is the procedure?
Any excavation performed within a public right-of-way in the Town of Kennebunkport is required to obtain a Street Opening Permit.  Applications can be picked up at the Wastewater Department, Monday to Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

The completed street opening permit must be submitted to the Public Works Director along with an application fee of $25.00, a map or sketch showing the location and size of any cuts to be made, a performance bond and proof of insurance.

After review, the Public Works Director will forward the application to the Board of Selectmen along with his recommendations. The Board of Selectmen, applying the standards of the Ordinance, may approve, approve with conditions or deny the application. After approval or approval with conditions by the Board of Selectmen, the Public Works Director will issue a permit conditioned as required by the Board of Selectmen.

Click here for the street opening permit application.
What should I do if I notice a street light is out?
Click here for a Street Light Repair Form. This form can be filled out and faxed direct to CMP or brought to Town Hall and marked "Attention: Public Works Department" and we will fax the form to CMP for you.
Who do I call when there is a dead animal in the road?
You can contact the Public Works Department at (207) 967-5728 or the Communications Department at (207) 967-2700.
The catch basin (storm drain) near my house is clogged. What should I do?
If you notice the catch basin clogged due to debris on top of it, please clear it away. If it appears that the catch basin is clogged inside, please contact the Public Works Department at (207) 967-5728. Please be advised that the Town has many catch basins to clear and clean, and it is helpful if the residents keep the tops of the catch basins in front of their properties clean and clear from all debris.